My Finished Edit; Cocorosie - By Your Side

Monday 10 October 2011

12. Secondary Research

As channel 4 are seen to produce many independent types of TV programmes and slightly more controversial things so subsequently I thought 4music would have a good audience for my video.

There was an article in BBC news discussing how channel 4 has always been quite controversial and doing things it shouldn't. The article discusses the 1993 Brookside Kiss, lesbian kiss which was the first scene of this kind to be shown on British television. It also discusses the one-off Brass Eye special about paedophilia, the allegedly racist bullying of Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty and Derren Brown's controversial Russian Roulette stunt.

With this open view on whats shown on television I expected a similar approach to what is shown on 4music; a mixture of mainstream and independent, slightly quirky music. However when I looked on the website I found that the music was much more mainstream than I had thought and with the track for my music video being Freakfolk I didn't think it would be sensible to work with 4music for exhibition of my video as the audience would be far too mainstream.


On the 4music website in the sales section they state that their purpose is to showcase the best in mainstream music for high street addicts and that they feature the latest chart music. Comparing this to my research I do not think this would be the direction to go in when my audience members are clearly not high street addicts and very little Freakfolk ever enters the charts.

The audience i am trying to target 'Craft Kids' do not listen to mainstream music often acquiring their music through word of mouth or through searching youtube videos. Finding new music as to what is suggested on youtube when listening to music they like. They are not the types to watch allot of television, being more creative people they access their music more through the internet. This is why I would not go down the television route when distributing my video.

4AD Records is an independent record label who has a much more independent selection of artists such as The National and Tune Yards. They have a youtube channel and use youtube as a source of exhibition. This is more the direction I would go in with my video.


No comments:

Post a Comment